Quality, farm-fresh Niagara produce
Available in Waterloo Region, Guelph and Barrie
We love fresh, nutritious fruit! Since 2008 we have been picking up fruit and other produce from Palatine Fruit & Roses in Niagara and making it available to you.
We only sell tender fruit produce from Palatine. If they run out, we will not fill orders from another farm. Why? Because of the special care growers Eva and Rene Schmitz take with their produce and the land that sustains it.
They care about:
- Maintaining healthy soil
- Nutritional quality
- Enhanced flavour
- Long shelf-life/extended freshness
- Dealing with pests and weeds in an environmentally-gentle way
We hope you enjoy the best of the season’s cherries, apricots, peaches, plums, pears, and grapes (and roses too). Don’t forget to order enough to share with guests, make jam, preserves, or put in the freezer for the long winter.
Maintaining healthy soil
Healthy soil is the foundation for fruit with enhanced flavour and nutrition. Fruit grown in good soil also stays fresh longer and does not spoil as quickly.
Eva and Rene’s soil management is continually evolving. They use the recommendations of nutritional science and soil experts Carey Reams, Dan Skow, and V.A. Tiedjens, and make improvements based on their own observations.
Dealing with pests and weeds
Palatine Fruit uses Integrated Pest Management (IPM). Individuals who are trained to recognize insects, fungus, and diseases regularly scout their orchards and vineyards.
Eva and Rene only spray when insect numbers exceed a certain threshold. And they use sprays with the least negative impact on beneficial insects, birds, and animals.
Their preferred method of controlling fungus is to use sulfur, copper and 35% hydrogen peroxide.
Under trees, they use a minimal level of herbicides along with mechanical weed control, as well as mulch.
The health of their trees and vines is enhanced with products such as molasses, oils, clay and Growers Nutritional Solutions.
How to order
Our produce is delivered twice a week from July to September to various locations throughout the region, and once a week to the Barrie area.
- Create an account on the Register page and follow the instructions regarding the activation link in your email (or if you’ve already registered, just log in).
- Log in and go to the Order page.
- Choose your pick-up location. You must place your order before the deadline shown for your location.
- Enter the quantities you’d like for each type of produce. Fruit is available in half or whole boxes.
- Click the Place Order button. You’ll receive a confirmation email.
- Pick up and pay for your order at the time and location indicated.